[MEncoder-users] Ripping dvd to mp4

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Mon Mar 24 19:38:04 CET 2008

Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) wrote:
> On Monday 24 March 2008 19:27, Erik Slagter wrote:
>> Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) wrote:
>> I checked it out, it looks like it's a bit too user-friendly for me.
> lol, people complain all the time that encoding deals with a lot of parameters
> and it's hard to do thus it's not user friendly and you come here and
> complain that it is too user friendly... nice one

Ehmm, sorry, but I like things to go automatically and unattended.

So I am actually not looking for a complete script but just (rough)
combinations of applications/options to achieve what I want.

>> Also I don't think it will actually hard-render subtitles because it
>> only uses mencoder for the video and mencoder cannot hard-render
>> subtitles last time I checked. That's why I use mplayer (with yuv4mpeg
>> output).
>
> mencoder can very well hardcode the subtitles into the movie. what are you
> talking about??

The last time I checked, like I said. Some of the guru's on the
ffmpeg-devel list claimed this. Probably I was talking about hard-coding
the subtitles of a DVD(-stream). I am pretty sure mencoder cannot do
that. I have no interest in .sub, .srt, .vobsub, .ass etc. subtitles.
What I want is simply DVD -> mp4 with one track of subtitles hardcoded
in them (without the use intermediate seperate subtitle files). I
believe mencoder cannot do that.

I can't use mencoder anyway because although it can generate mp4 files
now (using lavf), it cannot handle b-frames at all :-(