[MEncoder-users] broken mencoder options (was: High quality encoding of anime and broken mencoder options)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Mar 11 11:04:03 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 05:05:07PM -0300, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
> My only concern now are the defects in mencoder - the brokenness of
> vrc_override and the errors in the documentation. The worst error in
> the documentation is that it says that mbcmp only has an effect if
> mbd=0. This is false.

The man page for mbd only says:
"When mbd is set to 1 or 2, the value of mbcmp is ignored when comparing macroblocks."
And AFAICT this is correct. The mbcmp value is still used for motion
search, but with mbd > 0 it is not used to compare the results of the
motion search.
The mbcmp description is wrong though.
I hopefully fixed the documentation.

Greetings,