[MEncoder-users] broken mencoder options (was: High quality encoding of anime and broken mencoder options)

Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto please.no.spam.here at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 21:05:07 CET 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:33:22 -0700
RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:34:44 -0300
> Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > By the way, something I like in the Theora codec is that it
> > prefers to preserve fine detail than to eliminate blocking - or at
> > least it behaved like this in the last video I tested. Since I care
> > more about detail than about about blockiness, I like the Theora
> > approach.
>
> I suggest you take a closer look, because that's not what Theora/VP3
> does at all.  It can't preserve fine detail no matter what, it has a
> tendency to discolor, and it has a built-in deblocking filter (which
> does a poor job).
Thank you for this information. However I will not investigate Theora
further, because I have already decided to use mencoder (which does not
support Theora encoding).

My only concern now are the defects in mencoder - the brokenness of
vrc_override and the errors in the documentation. The worst error in
the documentation is that it says that mbcmp only has an effect if
mbd=0. This is false.
--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free. --Linus Torvalds