[MEncoder-users] Newbie struggling with pullup

Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux) microchip at telenet.be
Mon Mar 3 20:32:12 CET 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 20:17, Scott W. Larson wrote:
> "Grozdan Nikolov (openSUSE Linux)" <microchip at telenet.be> wrote:
> > On Monday 03 March 2008 18:34, Scott W. Larson wrote:
> >> The real test for these kinds of filters is to run them on material that
> >> has very little change from frame to frame.
> >
> > already done that and picture looks perfectly fine here
>
> The question is will it always work fine on all material. These filters
> can sometimes by chance sync with the 3:2 pattern and pull the correct
> frames only to fail later when something like an edit throws them off. The
> framestep=2 decreases the chances of them getting thrown off the pattern
> but it may also be hiding that the filter isn't really syncing with the
> pattern in a predictable way.

in a sense you are correct, however I had a 60p clip here where I tried for
months to make it 24p with no real success until I tried -vf
filmdint=fast=0/io=60:24 -fps 60000/1001 -ofps 24000/1001

it went through like a knife goes through butter and delivered excellent
results. I was so happy that I "broke" this particular clip that I could have
gone out and screamed on the streets lol

Also keep in mind that no filter(chain) is perfect. Maybe we need a filter
which looks forwars and detects changes and adjusts its process according to
the changes.

Off topic: I'd also like to see more motion compensated filters in MEncoder,
maybe a motion compensated temporal denoiser? :)

> I've declared victory several times over the years with this problem. I've
> had filters convert hours of 720p to 24 fps only to fail on some other
> special case I'd never seen before. I had one filter work perfectly until
> a station dropped their bitrate which smeared the duplicated frames even
> more. I had to start from scratch again.

Regards