[MEncoder-users] Progressive Scan DVD player?

Andy Civil andycivil at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 01:00:14 CET 2008

Thanks for answering.

James Hastings-Trew wrote:
> Bingo. I've never encountered Divx capable DVD player than plays back
> Divx movies at a higher resolution than a DVD.

Pity. It makes the progressive scan feature pointless.

> Generally, the Divx
> support in these devices are pretty poor, and you have to disable qpel,
> bi-directional b-frames, etc if you expect the movie file to play at
> all. I tried to find some specs on your specific player, but as usual,
> they are pretty silent on what *kind* of divx movie they are talking about.

Deep in the manual for mine, it claims to support DivX 3.11, 4.x, 5.x and 6.0,
Q-pel accurate motion compensation and Global Motion Compensation playback
(whatever that is). On the rare occasion when I've downloaded an Xvid, it's
played that too (the difference between the various families, mpeg4, DivX, Xvid,
h263, h264 is pretty lost on me, despite reading wikipedia for a while...). I
must admit, I'm pretty happy with the player, especially for the money.

> Yes, I have found the following command line ...

Thanks; in fact I'm working with my own 30i camcorder and not movies, but I'm
still interested in your parameters.

> If you hate Apple  ...

Yes, I considered using a PC, it's where to physically locate it that's the
issue. I don't hate Apple, but I grew up with Windows and intend to upgrade to
Linux over time; Apple offers neither the goshdarn ubiquity of Windows, nor the
economic value and high principles of Linux. I would like to support NVidia - I
know they've been proactive in producing Linux drivers for their stuff.

I've been sniffing around trying to see what I'd need, but so far, everything
assumes I want to play Blu-Ray discs with their DRM'd content, but of course, I
don't.

--
Andy