[MEncoder-users] Mencoder - Blocky Artifacts - very first couple of frames only and only from DVD

Nigel Arnold nkarnold at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 2 23:45:57 CET 2008

Hello

When i use mencoder (any SVN or RC), i get the exact same problem (only from
DVD's) (Win32)
For the very first few frames of the encoded video, i see large blocky
artifacts. just for a split second and then there gone.

I've stripped my command line right down to bare minimum and they are still
present

Interestingly enough, if i use
 x264encopts and x264 = still blocky
 xvidencopts and xvid = still blocky
 lavc vcodec=mpeg4 - still blocky

But if I encode from a file, its crystal clear as it should be, so it looks
to be DVD related.

My 'stripped' command line looks like this :-
mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device "R:\"  -of lavf -lavfopts format=avi  ?oac copy
?ovc lavc ?lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=1:vbitrate=1800 -o c:\new.avi -chapter
02-02  -endpos 00:00:10

Example of what i mean in terms of video blocks
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1015/image1sh5.jpg

This is very nearly the same corruption everytime for a DVD that starts with
a black screen (99% do)

When I start at a chapter, I get something like this
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9736/image2iz5.jpg

again only for about 0.5 seconds and then the video is fine.

ANY help much appreciated.

Regards