[MEncoder-users] msmpegv4 vs msmpeg

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Jul 23 12:43:17 CEST 2008

srdan bejakovic wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Jan Knutar <jknutar at nic.fi> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 22 July 2008, The Wanderer wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, that's not normal. Something very strange is going on with
>>> your setup, and it's not something I can deal with at this
>>> remove. Do you get these kind of iconv messages with any other
>>> programs, or just with MEncoder?

>> IIRC you get these kinda of messages on NetBSD too, maybe solaris
>> too, I don't remember so well.
>>
>> probable workaround:
>> export MPLAYER_CHARSET=US-ASCII
>
> Thanks. I tried the above, and it made the iconv messages go away.
> However, I still can't open the file:

<snip>

> I haven't been able to compile ffmpeg separately so I don't know what
>  it would say.

That's not good either. What kind of problem was it? (Based on the
below, there's a chance that this might even be relevant to the MPlayer
problem...)

> I did download the windows compiled distribution of mplayer, and
> mencoder handled the avi just fine, and mplayer opened it and
> displayed it also.

That probably (but not definitely) means that there's something wrong
with your copy of MPlayer.

Does this happen with every input file (AVI or otherwise), or just with
a particular file or group of files?

> I don't know if it's relevant but I couldn't compile mplayer
> initially until I set --disable-ass in the configuration.

Since ASS support is subtitle-related, this probably shouldn't be
relevant, although it shouldn't be necessary. If we get to the point of
having you recompile from updated sources, we will probably want to look
at this; it just may be a side effect of a more serious problem which
could be causing other issues, possibly including the one you're looking
at.

> Any further advice?

Off the top of my head, just try adding a few '-v' options to the
MPlayer command line, and see what - if any - additional information it
provides. If that doesn't work, we'll probably have to go back and see
what's going on with your compilation setup.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.