[MEncoder-users] Different length after re-encoding to H.264

Eloy Duran eloy.de.enige at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 18:24:44 CEST 2008

Hi list,

First of all the annoying noob disclaimer :):
I'm still fairly new to mencoder and encoding in general, so if
there's some obvious info missing please don't hesitate to let me know.
Now with that out of the way, the gist of it:

I'm trying to encode videos into H.264 in a mp4 container with
mencoder/x264 and producing iPod/Flash compatible videos.
This part all works, except for the fact that videos that have low
framerates, for instance one that's 3.750fps, get shorter after re-
encoding.
Apparently the lowest possible fps (for H.264?) is 15fps, because this
is what it encodes it to, but still in my understanding the video
shouldn't get any shorter because it should create duplicate frames.
This could however very well be a misunderstanding on my part though.

I was able to verify that if I leave it as a AVI container then it
does convert to 3.750fps, but still the video gets shorter... :(

Here is output about the original video:
http://pasternak.superalloy.nl/pastes/676

Here's the command and output:
http://pasternak.superalloy.nl/pastes/680

Here is the output about the re-encoded video:
http://pasternak.superalloy.nl/pastes/678

Cheers,
Eloy