[MEncoder-users] Video for YouTube, getting extremely low quality movies

Apple7777 applepro7777 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 04:59:45 CET 2008

Brendan Schwartz <bschwartz <at> tropist.com> writes:

> It sounds to me like you're not going to get the quality you're
> expecting at 250 kbps. I would suggest playing around in the 400 - 600
> range given the output resolution of your example clip.

Thanks for answer Brandon.

I can't use higher bitrate for YouTube, because they have limit 350 Kbps. I can
hack FLV movie to upload higher bitrate movie, but I don't want to do that.

I found reson of really bad quality - it's because video is so jerky. When I do
not change framerate, video quality is ok.

The thing is I'd really like to change frame rate to 12-15 fps, because quality
can be even better.

People say mencoder has no motion compensation filter, that's why movies are so
jerky and people also say that I need to change frame rate liek this:
30 fps > 15 fps
24 fps > 12 fps
25 fps > 12.5 fps

I've tried this, but videos are still jerky. :(

I wonder is there any filter for mencoder that can fix it?

> Also, it looks like you're missing a keyframe in your source video,
> that's why you get that grey blocky effect when it switches scenes.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Brendan

The original movie was encoded by iMovie. I wonder, why does it encoding movies
with missing keyframe? And how can I fix it?