[MEncoder-users] WMV problems

Christophe Ruelle mencoder at xtof.com
Thu Jan 10 12:48:34 CET 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm a new subscriber.
I'd like to come back to the WMV problems and the mencoder vs ffmpeg
discussion.

---

 > If you want nice encoding to containers other than avi, use the
ffmpeg
 > program itself, not mencoder. The only reason to use mencoder should
 > be its filters, which you're not using. Otherwise ffmpeg is much much
 > better.
 >
 > Rich

Is this true?  ffmpeg does a better job of transcoding except when
container is avi and using filters???

---

Something is still unclear to me. I'm using MPlayer / Mencoder to encode
all types of video files into FLV mostly because it has *so many
codecs* (win32).

I have a bunch of different video files and mencoder does a good job
99% of
the time - even if I had to tweak mencoder parameters to avoid a/v
desync just
like this WMV problem is described.

For me ffmpeg does not read many video formats (can't read real-audio
video files
for instance).

So what is the best way to convert electic kind of video files into FLV?

Thanks for any help.

Christophe.