[MEncoder-users] PNGs from POV-Ray and stdin

SasQ sasq1 at go2.pl
Thu Jan 10 03:30:19 CET 2008

Hello.

I'm trying to compress frames generated from POV-Ray to make a video.
At the moment i have to generate all frames as separate PNG files
and next use MEncoder to convert it to DivX.

But there are huge amounts of those PNG files for longer animations,
so I would like to workaround it and not use any of those intermediate
PNG files, but stream them directly from POV-Ray to MEncoder using
a pipe [POV-Ray writing them to stdout, and MEncoder reading it from
stdin and compressing]. Is it possible?

I've tried to do this this way:

  $ povray demo.pov -o- \
     | mencoder -o anim.avi \
     -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=800 -

but it renders only one frame and exits with the following:

   Cannot seek backward in linear streams!
   Seek failed
   Cannot seek backward in linear streams!
   Seek failed
   Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: avisynth.dll,
/usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll,
      /usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll
   ========== Niestety, ten format pliku jest nieobsługiwany ===========
   === Jeśli plik to AVI lub strumień ASF, MPEG proszę skontaktuj się z
autorem! ===
   Nie mogę otworzyć demuxera.

   Wychodzę...

Translation of those errors from Polish:

   ========== Sorry, this file format is unsupported ==========
   === If this is AVI or ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author! ===
   Cannot open demuxer.

   Exitting...

What am I doing wrong and how to do it properly?

--
SasQ