[MEncoder-users] Encode SD to H264 via mencoder - best settings

Grozdan Nikolov microchip at telenet.be
Mon Jan 7 21:06:32 CET 2008

On Monday 07 January 2008 20:49, Warpme wrote:
> Grozdan Nikolov <microchip <at> telenet.be> writes:
>  > On Monday 07 January 2008 18:11, Warpme wrote:
>  > > Hi *
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > I was trying add video filters like i.e. "-vf yadif=3,mcdeint" but
>  >
>  > use -vf yadif=3,mcdeint,framestep=2
>
> Grozdan,
>
> Thx for quick replay.
> WIth above parameters content looks OK (no slowdown, no audio out of
> sync & is
> deinterlaced). Only one thing might be improved: in fast motions picture is
> vibrant. In source content, movements are quite smooth. Difference in
> movement smoothness are noticeable. Do You have idea what might be
> improved in this area ?

umm this depends on the field order, you can try for top fields

-vf yadif=1,mcdeint=1:0:10,framestep=2

or for bottom fields

-vf yadif=1,mcdeint=1:1:10,framestep=2

> Regarding scrip: EXCELLENT idea. Is is really helpful for pulling max
> usability
> from such advanced tool like mencoder.
>
> I have one request: is it possible to put in readme examples of mencoder
> parameters for most used situations like:
> VHS[SD TV][DVD][HDTV]->h264[mpeg4] with quality low[medium][high][extreme]
> ? I'm asking because it helps alot for all ppl using mencoder in

I'll see what I can do but for further questions about the script, email me
presonally as this is the MEncoder mailing list and the script is not part of
it :)