[MEncoder-users] Encode SD to H264 via mencoder - best settings

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Mon Jan 7 20:49:29 CET 2008

Grozdan Nikolov <microchip <at> telenet.be> writes:

 > On Monday 07 January 2008 18:11, Warpme wrote:
 > > Hi *
 > >

 > > I was trying add video filters like i.e. "-vf yadif=3,mcdeint" but
 >
 > use -vf yadif=3,mcdeint,framestep=2

Grozdan,

Thx for quick replay.
WIth above parameters content looks OK (no slowdown, no audio out of
sync & is
deinterlaced). Only one thing might be improved: in fast motions picture is
vibrant. In source content, movements are quite smooth. Difference in
movement smoothness are noticeable. Do You have idea what might be
improved in this area ?

Regarding scrip: EXCELLENT idea. Is is really helpful for pulling max
usability
from such advanced tool like mencoder.

I have one request: is it possible to put in readme examples of mencoder
parameters for most used situations like:
VHS[SD TV][DVD][HDTV]->h264[mpeg4] with quality low[medium][high][extreme] ?
I'm asking because it helps alot for all ppl using mencoder in
non-interactive way.
I.e. I'm using it as script on media server launched from GUI and used for
conversion of already edited content.
Without such examples I will play with scrip in try/error style which is
time
consuming and reinventing wheel...

Anyway: thx for effor with script - it is really missing part in mencoder
environment.

br