[MEncoder-users] What is the most standard video format?

David Portabella Clotet david at portabella.name
Thu Feb 28 09:09:55 CET 2008

Thanks for answering.

I tried to rename the .MP4 to .MOV, but Windows Media Player still
does not play it.

What is the most standard video format?

I've tried an AVI file with no compression:
> mencoder SANY0271.MP4 -o SANY0271.avi -of avi -oac pcm -ovc raw
but Windows Media Player still does not play it.
VLC plays it ok.

and a MPEG1 as follows:
> mencoder SANY0271.MP4 -o test.mpg -of mpeg -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video
Windows Media Player plays it, but the video is all black without audio neither.
VLC plays it ok.

What is the most standard video format?
one that Microsoft Media Player can play without additional codecs?

Many thanks,
DAvid