[MEncoder-users] Newbie struggling with pullup

Scott Larson scowl at pacifier.com
Thu Feb 28 08:00:26 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 00:08 -0600, Laine Lee wrote:
> I want to be sure I understand this. I meant that where I expected each
> group of 5 frames to consist of three of the same then two of the same,
> sometimes I see this pattern disintegrate into several pairs of similar
> frames, breaking up the "3 then 2" pattern. Do you mean that it's possible
> for repeated frames to occur randomly in groups of either 2 or 3? Thanks
> again.

I have seen strange cases where filmed material has had unexpected
combinations of two and three duplicates in 720p, either 2:2:3:3 or
3:3:2:2. These were single events and the pattern immediately went back
to the 3:2 pattern. They've always happened during a scene cut (previous
cut would end with three duplicates and the next cut would also start
with three duplicates, for example).

I don't know where these strange combinations show up in the process of
delivering a television program to us. Ultimately it makes no difference
because as long as it looks OK to the viewer, they'll broadcast it. I
wouldn't have even noticed the 3:2 pattern had been broken if I hadn't
stepped over it frame by frame while counting to myself.

Unfortunately if you want to eliminate duplicate frames to get ~24 fps
out of filmed material from 720p, you have to deal with weird stuff like
this.