[MEncoder-users] Newbie struggling with pullup

Laine Lee llee at lonestar.utsa.edu
Thu Feb 28 07:08:53 CET 2008

On 2/27/08 10:54 PM, "RC" <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mencoder reporting "duplicate frames" simply doesn't mean anything
> close to what you think it means...

I suspected that, thanks for confirming it.

> Since you're improperly setting -ofps, a strong sign that the inverse
> telecine filters are working (either pullup or decimate) would be a very
> large number of "1 duplicate frame(s)" messages.
>
>> However, quite frequently, and usually several times in succession,
>> this sequence gets interrupted, and I might only have to hit "." 2
>> times to get to the next varying frame when I expected to press it 3
>> times.
>
> There's good reason it's called 3:2 pulldown (telecine is commonly used
> as a synonym, as the two are performed together).

I want to be sure I understand this. I meant that where I expected each
group of 5 frames to consist of three of the same then two of the same,
sometimes I see this pattern disintegrate into several pairs of similar
frames, breaking up the "3 then 2" pattern. Do you mean that it's possible
for repeated frames to occur randomly in groups of either 2 or 3? Thanks
again.

--
Laine