[MEncoder-users] Newbie struggling with pullup

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Feb 28 03:04:04 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 12:29:17PM -0600, Laine Lee wrote:
> I'm still trying to convert my telecined video source (1280X720, 60 fps) to
> 16X9 DVD (720X480, 30000/1001). I'm assuming I've correctly identified the
> source as telecined, because the frame rate is 60 fps (or thereabouts, if I
> may be allowed to say so) and when I pause it and advance 1 frame at a time
> as suggested in the mplayer documentation, I generally see the same frame
> until the 3rd press of the "." key and then the same frame again until the
> second press of the key, and so on.

No, 1280x720 @ 60 fps is progressive content with duplicated frames,
rather than (field-based) telecine. You can either use the decimate
filter with the right settings (and the right -ofps) to remove the
duplicate frames, or use the tinterlace=4 filter prior to pullup to
convert to normal telecine which pullup can handle. The latter
approach is probably better.

Rich