[MEncoder-users] Flashvideo for YouTube using mencoder

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Feb 23 02:56:24 CET 2008

RC wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:05:14 -0500 The Wanderer
> <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Not to mention that the question of whether or not MEncoder drops
>> frames while encoding is completely unrelated to whether 30000/1001
>> is mathematically the same as 30.
>
> No.  If you change the frame-rate (no matter how much) mencoder has
> to duplicate or skip frame to maintain A/V sync.  There are other
> reasons it will do so, and there are situations where it will not
> report it, but it is very much related.

I think we're talking on different levels here.

It would be entirely possible to ask the question "is 30000/1001 equal
to 30?" in a context which has nothing whatsoever to do with MEncoder,
or indeed with video encoding at all. (In almost any mathematical forum,
the answer would immediately be "no".)

It is entirely possible to ask the question "does MEncoder drop frames
while encoding?" in a context which has nothing whatsoever to do with
either 30000/1001 or 30, e.g. when going from 25fps to 12.5fps or vice
versa.

Since each question can be asked and answered completely irrespective of
the answer to the other, they are therefore completely unrelated. Q.E.D.

--
    The Wanderer

    My usual .sig is on vacation while I adjust to my new computer