[MEncoder-users] Flashvideo for YouTube using mencoder

Ben jultus at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 23:49:20 CET 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:04 PM, RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:49:44 +0100
>
> Ben <jultus at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > No. If I put -ofps 29.97 in the command line, no frames get dropped.
>
>  You are using -mc 0 in your command-line, *explicitly* telling mencoder
>  NOT to drop frames, no matter how far out of sync audio and video gets.

But AV-sync is important to me, making your statement invaluable.
I repeat:

> > > -mc 0 -ofps 29.97 -srate 44100
> >             ^^^^^
> > This is incorrect. The correct value is 30000/1001.

This is ALL the user reads about it in the manual:

"−ofps <fps>

Specify a frames per second (fps) value for the output file, which can
be different from that of the source material. Must be set for
variable fps (ASF, some MOV) and progressive (30000/1001 fps telecined
MPEG) files."

"-ofps 29.97" is what ALL other software packages out there use for
NTSC, so yeah: shoot me.
And they're not "crappy software" either. At least they warn you about
false configuration.
If 29.97 is "incorrect", by all means, implement a warning for it in mencoder!

JB