[MEncoder-users] Batching mencoder

Pierre Catello pierre.catello at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 14:52:34 CET 2008

2008/2/2, Troy Perkins <troy.perkins at totus.us>:

> Is it more efficient to batch mencoder in series or parallel?

Hello Troy,

Can depend on the video processing you do..
.
I run many x264 encoding jobs with Mencoder on multicore CPUs, and on my
systems it is faster to run jobs in serie (with multi threaded job), than
running  several single threaded jobs, because of I/O performance which I'm
quickly hit into.

A single multi threaded job is less likely to be limited by I/O bottleneck
than independant jobs which will increase heads seeking a lot. Running
RAID-0 can help however.

On video jobs that are heavily CPU bounded (more than I/O bounded) like
complex noise filtering computing at a few fps, or if the job are not
multithreaded, it is of course better to run several instances in parallel
than in serie.

Regards,