[MEncoder-users] Questions about the divx2pass.log file created by mencoder/x264

Grozdan microchip at telenet.be
Wed Dec 24 17:38:45 CET 2008

On Wednesday 24 December 2008 01:12:27 Vincenzo De Florio wrote:
> Hallo,

hi :)

> I'm using mencoder to encode mpeg2 files into x264 avi files in two
> passes. File divx2pass.log stores the first pass information, which is
> used in the second pass to generate an "optimized" encoding. I have
> several questions regarding the contents of the divx2pass.log file.
>
> First and foremost, is this the right mailing list for questions such as
> these? If not, would you be so kind as to suggest me more pertinent
> ones? Also, my apologies for the off-track questions that follow.

yes it is

> - is there a manual explaining the format of the log file?
> - the log file consists of lines such as "in:14 out:14 type:B q:27.00
> itex:0 ptex:12 mv:4 misc:160 imb:0 pmb:1 smb:1461 d:-;" ; what is the
> meaning of these fields?
> - are there tools taking in a divx2pass.log file and printing out the
> bitrate distribution (or quality distribution) as a function of time?
> Something like a histogram telling where "the quality should go", at
> each time step.

I'm not expert on the log files so if I'm wrong here, please someone correct
me.

in: input frame
out: output frame
type: type of frame (I, P, B)
q: quantizer value for that frame
itex: i-frame texture complexity
ptex: p-frame texture complexity
mv: motion vectors
misc: ??
imb: i-frame macroblocks
pmb: p-frame macroblocks
smb: ???
d: ???

> Thank you in advance, and best wishes to everybody for Christmas and the
> new year.

you too!

> Vince.

Regards