[MEncoder-users] Questions about the divx2pass.log file created by mencoder/x264

Vincenzo De Florio vincenzo.deflorio at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 01:12:27 CET 2008

Hallo,

I'm using mencoder to encode mpeg2 files into x264 avi files in two
passes. File divx2pass.log stores the first pass information, which is
used in the second pass to generate an "optimized" encoding. I have
several questions regarding the contents of the divx2pass.log file.

First and foremost, is this the right mailing list for questions such as
these? If not, would you be so kind as to suggest me more pertinent
ones? Also, my apologies for the off-track questions that follow.

- is there a manual explaining the format of the log file?
- the log file consists of lines such as "in:14 out:14 type:B q:27.00
itex:0 ptex:12 mv:4 misc:160 imb:0 pmb:1 smb:1461 d:-;" ; what is the
meaning of these fields?
- are there tools taking in a divx2pass.log file and printing out the
bitrate distribution (or quality distribution) as a function of time?
Something like a histogram telling where "the quality should go", at
each time step.

Thank you in advance, and best wishes to everybody for Christmas and the
new year.

Vince.