[MEncoder-users] FLV Playback Issue

A. Schmid sahib at phreaker.net
Wed Apr 30 02:28:36 CEST 2008

A. Schmid wrote:
> The blocky image could be due to the encoder used when capturing the
> video. Also, this could be caused somewhere in the transcoding process
> WMV3 -> FLV. Is the uploaded WMV3 looking significantly better?

OK, I did some tests on a WMV3 sample video (directly from Microsoft).
Here is what I found:
When trying to transcode this WMV3 with mencoder, I get
"41 duplicate frame(s)!" messages on _every_ input frame!
This means, I lose 41 of 42 frames. So it's no big surprise, that the
video looks strange (all blocky - just like yours) afterwards.

A look on the output of mencoder reveals the following:
"VIDEO:  [WMV3]  1280x720  24bpp  1000.000 fps  6000.0 kbps (732.4 kbyte/s)"
1000 fps - wtf?!

Strangely enough, the video plays fine with mplayer.

Giving "-fps 25" (thus overriding the 1000 fps) as a mencoder option
fixed the whole thing!

Somebody know if this is mencoders fault?
Maybe WMV3's fps field needs to be scaled by 40, or maybe they use
values >= 1000 as preset values.
25 fps seems to be slightly off - 23.976 fits better, but thats gives no
nice scaling factor, which could be a cue towards the presets-theory...

Regards,
Alex