[MEncoder-users] Issue with executing MEncoder from ASP script

Christopher Elkins cj.elkins at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 12:27:08 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm currently having trouble executing MEncoder from within an ASP
script using the WScript.Shell object to perform the execution.

The issue is almost certainly not with the command we are using to
execute MEncoder since this works perfectly well when executed in a
command prompt.

We can see the server starts the MEncoder.exe process (it displays in
task manager) and typically it does some of the conversion - which can
be played back from the resulting output file. So it would appear that
it doesn't appear to be permissions issues relating to (i) executing
MEncoder (ii) accessing the original input video or (iii) writing to
the output destination.

What typically happens once its written a small part of the output
from the encoder is that the process appears to hang - remaining on
view with Task Manager - but the CPU time remains static and its
memory allocation has no movement.

We also have another ASP script which performs a very similar task
where the MEncoder process rarely fails.

If anybody could offer any suggestions on why the MEncoder process is
hanging, it would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Christopher

====

ASP Code Snippet

Set oShell = Server.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
Set oExec = oShell.Exec(strMencoderCommand)

Do While oExec.Status = 0
   oShell.Popup "", 1
Loop

If oExec.ExitCode = 0 Then
   ' Everything appears to have gone OK - that's good!
   ' Update display
Else
   ' If we reach this then it appears we've exited the converter as a
failed task.
   ' Display appropiate erorr message
End If