[MEncoder-users] Stopping mencoder from stream seeking (was: Using MEncoder with TySuiteJ)

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Apr 7 19:10:51 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 11:35:55AM -0400, Phil Combs wrote:
> Seek failed
> Seek failed
> Seek failed
> Seek failed
> Seek failed
> Seek failed
> ============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported
> =============
> === If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author!
> ===
> Cannot open demuxer.
>

> The data that I'm trying to process with mencoder is an MPEG-2 PES stream,
> aka an .mpg file.  It seems as if mencoder is attempting a seek operation,
> which of course will not work on a streaming source.  J  So, how can I get
> around this?

Format autodetect in general does not (and for MPEG in particular that
is almost a "can not") work right without seeking.
Two solutions: make seeking work by using a large cache, e.g.
-cache 10240 or specify the format, e.g. -demuxer mpegpes

And btw.:

> Phil Combs
>
> Presentation Systems Administrator
>
> Wright State University
>
> Center for Teaching and Learning
>
> 023 Dunbar Library
>
> Dayton, OH  45435
>

> (937) 775-3897

It is usually considered good style, esp. on mailing lists, to arrange
the signature so it does not take up much more than 4 lines.