[MEncoder-users] Stopping mencoder from stream seeking (was: Using MEncoder with TySuiteJ)

Phil Combs phillip.combs at wright.edu
Mon Apr 7 17:35:55 CEST 2008

Last week I'd posted about having problems getting mencoder to work with a
program called "TySuiteJ."   After more research and testing I discovered
that the following error information was generated in an output file that
was dumping to disk:

Seek failed
Seek failed
Seek failed
Seek failed
Seek failed
Seek failed
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported
=============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author!
===
Cannot open demuxer.

The data that I'm trying to process with mencoder is an MPEG-2 PES stream,
aka an .mpg file.  It seems as if mencoder is attempting a seek operation,
which of course will not work on a streaming source.  J  So, how can I get
around this?

Phil Combs

Presentation Systems Administrator

Wright State University