[MEncoder-users] Performance on multi core machines - a specific enquiry re avisynth mt input

Michael Rozdoba mroz at ukgateway.net
Sat Sep 29 20:34:28 CEST 2007

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 05:05:56PM +0100, Michael Rozdoba wrote:
> [...]
>> If no one here knows, any suggestions where I could ask? The issue does
>> seem to be specific to mencoder.
>
> I'd say obviously the MT developers they should know what could make it
> fail.

I've just asked on the Doom9 forum's MT thread.

Maybe I need to ask the MEncoder devs, or those directly responsible for
the Windows port. Do you know the most appropriate way to contact the
latter with an enquiry such as this?

> I guess it doesn't like that MPlayer

How is MPlayer involved?

> uses the script via the AVS
> "Import" command or the "ConvertToYV12" it appends if necessary.

There's no ConvertToYV12 & such conversions aren't the problem (they
don't cause this issue in VDub.

Could you give me a sample MEncoder command line which takes an mp4 as
input & performs a computation intensive (ie cpu heavy) transcode to
x264 say & which ought to run multithreaded on a quad core?

That way I can quickly see if this issue is specific to using avisynth
scripts as input, or if I have it with all mencoder usage, though as I
previously said, I've naively assumed even if the mencoder encode runs
in a single thread, surely streaming the input to the encoder will run
in its own thread or in the case of this script, in multiple threads
across multiple cores.

Cheers,

--
Michael Rozdoba