[MEncoder-users] Five inverse telecine filters to choose from -- four broken, one a little crazy

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Sep 26 22:12:05 CEST 2007

On 9/26/07, xiphmont at xiph.org <xiphmont at xiph.org> wrote:
> On 9/26/07, RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:38:07 -0400
> > "Christopher \"Monty\" Montgomery" <xiphmont at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >  The only inverse telecine filter that works is 'divtc' (although it
> > > guesses wrong alot), which is slightly odd because the video is and
> > > always was progressive.
> >
> > Telecine generates fields, not progressive frames.
>
> Yes, but the video has been deinterlaced since.

Sorry; if it was ever interlaced, it has been deinterlaced since.  I
don't know that it ever was. 480p 30000/1001 is a valid DVD mode isn't
it? Could it originally have simply been a pullup rather than true
telecine? I'm not sure why they'd have done that rather than just
encode as 24000/1001, but the counter on the top indicates they did
something like that...

Monty