[MEncoder-users] Five inverse telecine filters to choose from -- four broken, one a little crazy

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 22:28:32 CEST 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:06:19 -0400
xiphmont at xiph.org wrote:

> Yes, but the video has been deinterlaced since.

Which is exactly what the divtc filter is for.  None of the other
filters will do anything (just drop 1 in 5 frames at random).

> Well, I already said what I have (30000/1001, 480x272, progressive,

Uhh, no you didn't already say that anywhere, AFAICT.

In addition to divtc, you can try -vf decimate=2:1000:1600:.001

> 480p 30000/1001 is a valid DVD mode isn't it?

Yes.  But you'll really never see 480p at 30fps anywhere.  If it was TV, it
would be 30i.  If it's film, it's either 24p or telecined 30i.

> Could it originally have simply been a pullup rather than true
> telecine?

Pulldown and Telecine are generally used to refer to the same thing, and
that involves independent fields for interlaced display.

I'm not sure what you think "a pullup" would involve, but you can't fit
24fps film into 30fps and make it look decent without interlaced
encoding and an interlaced display.