[MEncoder-users] splitting mpegs

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Tue Sep 25 16:00:06 CEST 2007

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:26:20AM -0400, Christopher Edward Nolan wrote:
> I did a /dev/video1 > show.mpg
> which then dumped a 2 hr long 6 GB MPEG
> I now want to take that file and break it up into smaller, roughly 1 GB
> size files, like VOBs on a DVD
> I can not figure out how to get it done with MEncoder

That's not easy to do with mencoder.
You can try the script encode2mpeglight in the TOOLS directory of
the MPlayer source.

encode2mpeglight -o <name> -encode 0:0:1 -dvd show.mpg -split <size im MB>

It may take some time to process the 6GB file.
Better test encode2mpeglight with a smaller file first
(a 100MB source file to split in 40MB chunks for example).

Ciao
Giacomo