[MEncoder-users] MEncoder/MPlayer on mirrored drives and a Windows GUI

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Mon Sep 24 06:28:40 CEST 2007

gregory battaglia wrote:
> Could there be problems if I load MEncoder/MPlayer for Windows XP SP2
> onto a pair of RAIDed mirrored system drives?
>
> If not, could there be problems if I then rip a DVD with MEncoder and save
> the file to these mirrored system drives (to edit and play before burning it to
> DVD-RW or DVD-DL)?
>
> Or should the destination for the ripped DVD file be a hard drive other than
> the system drive (whether a RAIDed pair or a single drive)?
>
> Also, can someone recommend the most bug-free GUI to navigate
> MEncoder/Player for Windows XP?
>
>  Gregory

MEncoder and MPlayer don't really care where they are located on your
system, but I would suggest putting them somewhere in your PATH or
adding where they are located to your PATH variable. Shouldn't be any
problems with using that same drive to rip, encode, or burn from either.
The bottleneck in your system will be the speed of your CPU, not your
disk I/O.

As for a MEncoder GUI, I've never seen one that really lets you at the
full power of the executable. It all depends on what you mean by "rip" -
do you want to simply copy a DVD, or do you want to convert the title on
a DVD to some other format? Most of the attempts at making a GUI for
Mencoder are aimed at the latter, not the former.