[MEncoder-users] V/A Synchronization issue

Alexander Kobel news at a-kobel.de
Fri Sep 21 16:28:06 CEST 2007

Dear all,

I want to use MEncoder to encode some digicam movies from
	RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 640 x 480, 30.00 fps,
	video: Motion JPEG, audio: uncompressed PCM (mono, 16000 Hz)
to some higher compression format (mpeg4, Xvid, H.264 or something with
MP2 or MP3).

While copying the uncompressed audio track works perfectly fine, as soon
as I compress it I receive "Skipping frame!" messages during encoding
and "Cannot sync MAD frame" during playback (mplayer). Worse, there's
some cracking noise at the end of the clip, regardless of the used codec.
Neither -vf harddup, -mc 0, -noskip and/or resampling to 44100 or 48000
kHz seem to be of any use; messages are suppressed, but the problem remains.

I'm using Ubuntu Feisty with universe/multiverse packages, i.e.
mencoder-1.0rc1, lame-3.96.1 and libavcodec-0d.51.11.0. My commands are
	mencoder -o xvid.avi movie.avi
	[ -vf harddup -mc 0 -noskip ]
along with
	-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4
	-ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=1000
	-ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=1000:8x8dct:me=umh
and
	-oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=128
	-oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp3:abitrate=128
	-oac mp3lame

Did anyone already encounter this one and can provide some help?

Thanks in advance,
Alexander