[MEncoder-users] Greetings

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 16 17:06:42 CEST 2007

Hi, I'm new to the mailing list. Sorry if this has been asked and
answered, but searches turned up nothing, and the documentation at
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html seems a tad out
of date in regard to this question.

Basically, I am trying to get Mencoder to produce a working .MP4 file at
480x272 that will work on the Sony PSP. I know it is possible - there
are at least 2 commercial programs that I am aware of that use Mencoder
as their background encoding engine that do this - CloneDVD Mobile (on
the PC) and VisualHub (on the Mac).

I've followed the guide in the documentation
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html#menc-feat-quicktime-7
which did not produce a file that either Quicktime or the PSP would look
at. If Quicktime won't play it, neither will the PSP, so I figured this
would be a place to start.

This current command line gets me a file that Quicktime will play but
there is no video - just a black screen.

mencoder dvd://1 -chapter 1-1 -vf scale=480:272 -oac faac -faacopts
br=128:mpeg=4:object=2:raw -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=700 -of lavf
-lavfopts format=psp -o testpsp.mp4

Note that I have left off all -x264 encoding options because I am just
trying to get a baseline command that works, and then I can add all the
fiddly bits later. The manual makes mention of a "globalheader" option
for the -x264encopts which is supposed to be there (according to the
manual) but Mencoder spits this out as an unknown option:

MEncoder dev-SVN-r24387-4.2.1 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (Family: 15, Model:
43, Stepping: 1)
CPUflags: Type: 15 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
113 audio & 236 video codecs
Option x264encopts: Unknown suboption globalheader

My question is, does anyone have an x264 encoding comand line that
works? Or can someone point me to a current, working guide? Thanks.