[MEncoder-users] Problem with source video

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 09:03:45 CEST 2007

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 07:38:11 +0100
"Ross Clement" <rossclement at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. Using a deinterlacing filter  -vf pp=fd removes the effect and
> improves the results I get on encoding.

If you're going to deinterlace, at least use -vf yadif instead of pp=fd.

> But, the page I got the filter settings from says that using a
> deinterlacing filter like that is a poor solution as it blurs the
> image slightly. So I'll have to learn how to handle this problem
> properly. But this solution will do for nnow.

Deinterlacing at all inherently make motion of the video less smooth.
If you're encoding something like a DVD to be played back on a TV, you
can simple maintain the interlacing using the appropriate encoding
options, and it will display properly.  If you deinterlace, the DVD will
have motion that looks less smooth than normal TV programs.