[MEncoder-users] lavc or xvid

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 19:49:22 CEST 2007

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 13:37:50 +0400
Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at VM10124.spb.edu> wrote:

> Masking artifacts with noise is good, much better than deblocking,
> small noise doesn't reduce video quality, but improves percepted
> quality. I always use noise filter on playback, both with videos I
> postprocess and the ones I don't.

If you want to add noise, you're welcome to.  I severely dislike,
however, that the codec is doing it, and especially the ridiculously
high level of noise.

I can't help but wonder how much the Doom9 codec comparison was
affected, because Xvid is adding noise, while he refused to use
noise-adding postprocessing filters (for FMP4).  Hmm...

And I do disagree on your point.  Noise isn't good IMHO, and at least to
me, doesn't improve visual quality, except perhaps at very low levels.
I always denoise videos, and I don't find that noisy Xvid scene looks
better (than the less noisy original).  Of course, I don't
postproc/deblock (blur) video either.