[MEncoder-users] lavc or xvid

Mon Sep 3 11:37:50 CEST 2007

Hi RC!

 On 2007.08.30 at 16:15:53 -0700, RC wrote next:

> > Certainly i've seen some examples where lavc performs better than xvid
> > - but in 95% of real life video and anime xvid performs better for me.
> > Also, xvid's problem in the rest of cases isn't details masking.
>
> Thanks for saying that...  While putting together a comparison of lavc
> and Xvid to show you, I got sidetracked by an even more surprising issue

Well actually I meant another issue, when both lavc and xvid can't evade
blockness on vq=2, in that case lavc with minimum qscale set to 1 helps.

> I noticed... With quant_type=mpeg, Xvid ADDS RANDOM NOISE to the
> video.  (Lavc does not)

This case is pretty severe, I haven't noticed noise that strong, but I'm
not really surprising. Masking artifacts with noise is good, much better
than deblocking, small noise doesn't reduce video quality, but improves
percepted quality. I always use noise filter on playback, both with
videos I postprocess and the ones I don't.

Don't misunderstand me, I hate noisy video, film defects and so on, I
almost always use hqnd3d denoising filter (with default options for
anime, with ligher options for real life material) but adding something
like noise=10uah:5uah as last filter makes video better for my eyes.

--

Vladimir