[MEncoder-users] High bitrate mpeg2 encoding problem

Simon Oualid simon.oualid at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 11:23:52 CEST 2007

Many thanks for your answer.

> Are you sure your source has sufficient quality for 15 Mbps? (non-HD
> resolutions sure wouldn't be).
> And the output is unreadable with what?

My source is 30Mbps mpeg2 SD content (from a matrox capture card), and I
cannot play the output with mplayer (rc1), vlc (0.8.6c), neither Elecard
mpeg-2 DS filters. Each time I got the audio but no video output, I am
retrying with these new options.

I reencode this content before transfering it to match our 15Mbps bandwidth.
What bitrate would you advise for high quality SD content ?

> Not sure they create ps files without extra options.

I'll add these options (-of mpeg -mpegopts ...) once I'll get a proper
encoding (I am actually reencoding the content within mbd=2 and 2 pass
encoding since I do not need speed). What vrc_maxrate, vrc_minrate, and
vrc_bufsize do you  advise for mpeg-ps muxing ?

Here is where I am :

mencoder test-highbitrate.avs -o h:\output.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=15000000:mbd=2:vpass=1 -passlogfile pass.log -vf
harddup -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=192

Thank you again,

Simon