[MEncoder-users] High bitrate mpeg2 encoding problem

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Sep 3 11:01:41 CEST 2007

Hello,

Your report is lacking both mencoder version and output.

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 10:25:32AM +0200, Simon Oualid wrote:
> What command line you recommand to encode high constant bitrate mpeg2
> (15Mbps, 30Mbps).
>
> I am using -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=15000000 -vf
> harddup but the output doesn't match the expected 15Mbps and is unreadable
> (I got a 600 seconds movie and the outputted file size is 150Mb).

Are you sure your source has sufficient quality for 15 Mbps? (non-HD
resolutions sure wouldn't be).
And the output is unreadable with what?

> Here is my complete command line :
>
> mencoder test-highbitrate.avs -o output.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=15000000 -vf harddup -oac lavc -lavcopts
> acodec=ac3:abitrate=192 -audiofile f:\026781#02.wav

No mbd=2 and no two-pass. Both mean the quality will be horrible for the
bit rate. Of course you can throw endless bitrate at it instead of doing
a proper encode, but that is only good for marketing (or if you need
speed of course)...

> I tried to use a mpeg-ps container (with -of lavf or -of mpeg).

Not sure they create ps files without extra options.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger