[MEncoder-users] Generating switchable binary subtitles with MEncoder

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 13:06:36 CET 2007

On 10/29/07, Nico Sabbi <Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it> wrote:
> Il Monday 29 October 2007 12:10:11 Francois Visagie ha scritto:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I'm probably being stoopit but confirming that would already help.
> > About the -vobsubout option the manual says:
> > "Specify the basename for the output .idx and .sub files. This
> > turns off subtitle rendering in the encoded movie and diverts it to
> > VOBsub subtitle files."
> >
> > This only redirects VOBsub input, right?
>
> yes
>
> > I was hoping to capture
> > MEncoder's beautiful rendering of text subtitle input for use in
> > DVD authoring this way, but alas it doesn't seem to work?
>
> is the chosen subtitle stream present?

If by that you mean the text subtitle input, yes.

> > Is there any way of capturing or exporting MEncoder subtitle
> > rendering to some commonly used binary authoring format?
> >

> what rendering? you are only dumping it

With the command line

mencoder -sub %1.dv_datecode.ssa %1 -aspect 4/3 -mc 0 -noskip -vf
hqdn3d=2:1:2,harddup -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts
aspect=4/3:ildct:ilme:keyint=15:vbitrate=7345:vcodec=mpeg2video:vpass=%PASS%:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vstrict=0:acodec=ac3:abitrate=128:psnr
-of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -o %1.1.mpg

text subtitles in the SSA file are rendered (hardcoded of course) in
the output MPEG file.

By adding the vobsubout* options as follows I had hoped to dump
subtitle binaries created by MEncoder to the specified files to author
them as switchable subtitles with other software:

mencoder -sub %1.dv_datecode.ssa -vobsubout %1.vobsubout -vobsuboutid
EN %1 -aspect 4/3 -mc 0 -noskip -vf hqdn3d=2:1:2,harddup -ovc lavc
-oac lavc -lavcopts
aspect=4/3:ildct:ilme:keyint=15:vbitrate=7345:vcodec=mpeg2video:vpass=%PASS%:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vstrict=0:acodec=ac3:abitrate=128:psnr
-of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -o %1.1.mpg

In other words, I had hoped to use MEncoder to convert text subtitles
to binary SUB/IDX subtitles with those options. However, the IDX file
only contains a header and the SUB file is empty.

Regards,
Francois