[MEncoder-users] mpeg-4 - no video on Pioneer dvd player

James Hastings-Trew jimht at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 27 15:25:07 CEST 2007

ameidus wrote:
> I have also tried
>
> -ffourcc divx
> and
> -ffourcc xvid
>
> nothing works :(
>

> Andrius Meidus wrote:
>
>> No, the "-ffourcc DX50" had no effect. Any other ideas?
>>

>> 2007/10/27, Andrius Meidus <ameidus at gmail.com>:
>>

>>> So  the following command  (with added "-ffourcc DX50") should solve my problem?
>>> mencoder input.mov -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1
>>> -ffourcc DX50 -o output.avi
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Are you sure your player is able to play Divx files? Try this as a base
command line:

mencoder INPUT.mov -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=160:mode=0 -ovc lavc
-lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1400:vrc_maxrate=6000:vrc_buf_size=1835:mbd=2:trell
-of avi -ffourcc DIVX -noodml -o OUTPUT.avi

This will do a non-ideal one pass encode of your .mov into a fairly
vanilla DIVX/mp3 .avi file that should play back on most set top players
that claim to play back DIVX movies. I say "non-ideal" because I have no
idea what the dimensions of your quicktime movie are, or it's framerate,
so I have no idea what bittrate to suggest to you. And ideally you
should always use a two pass encode, but this is more to test out
compatibility with your player rather than get you a "perfect" encode of
the file. If the above command line works for you then you can use it as
a starting point to build from.

Also, with some players, the ffourcc is case sensitive. -ffourcc divx !=
-ffourcc DIVX.