[MEncoder-users] mpeg-4 - no video on Pioneer dvd player

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Oct 27 12:40:41 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 12:54:50PM +0100, ameidus wrote:
> I tried:
>     mencoder input.mov -oac lavc -ovc lavc  -o output.avi

Not specifying a codec is never a good idea.

>     mencoder input.mov -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1  -o output.avi
>     mencoder input.mov -oac lavc -ovc xvid  -xvidencopts bitrate=1600 -o
> output.avi

Both miss -ffourcc DX50 or similar.

>     mencoder input.mov -oac lavc -ovc  lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2
> vcodec=mpeg1video vstrict=-2 -o output.avi

lavcopts are completely broken, vstrict=-2 certainly is a stupid idea
for MPEG1/2 and the opposite of what the docs suggest and I've never
seen a DVD player that can player MPEG1/2 outside of properly mastered
DVD/(S)VCD, even though that is really stupid.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger