[MEncoder-users] Encode with -ass

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Oct 20 22:37:32 CEST 2007

Hi RVM,

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 02:20:10 +0200, RVM wrote:

> mkfifo stream.yuv | mplayer -ass -sub subtitle.ass -vo yuv4mpeg file.avi
                    ^
That pipe should be a semicolon instead, IMO.

> mencoder stream.yuv <options> -o fileout.avi
>
> But, what happens with the audio? When I run those commands I can hear the
> audio through the speakers, and the encoded video has no audio. I guess the
> audio stream should also be redirected to the fifo, but how?

I don't think mplayer can multiplex audio and video. My guess would be:

> mkfifo stream.yuv; mkfifo stream.pcm
> mplayer -ass -aub subtitle.ass -vo yuv4mpeg -ao pcm:file=stream.pcm file.avi
> mencoder stream.yuv -audiofile stream.pcm <options> -o fileout.avi

Totally untested. I don't know about sync issues though, but this might
be worth a try.

You could also use mplayer's "-dumpaudio -dumpfile stream.pcm" and get
the original encoded audio, and reuse it in mencoder with "-oac copy".

Just my 0.02$,
Moritz