[MEncoder-users] Default FOURCC for MPEG-2?

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 01:08:30 CEST 2007

Hello guys,

I was having a hard time reading a DVD. I even couldn't copy some files to my
HD but I was lucky I could copy all *VOB files to my HD. Now I wanted to have
the whole content in just one avi file (without transcoding).  So I did this:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -idx -o myFile.avi VTS_01.VOB VTS_02.VOB ...

The video plays fine in MPlayer but it won't in VLC. In VLC I just get audio.
I think it doesn't know the video is MPEG-2 as there's no FOURCC from
previous operation.  What's the default FOURCC for mpeg-2 content?  I just
tried now (setting FOURCC) to mp2v and now it plays with VLC but it won't
with mplayer :(

Thanks!
Jorge