[MEncoder-users] Problem with rc2 (not present in rc1)

Jesus Altuve jaltuve at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 16:37:01 CEST 2007

I can replicate the problem when the source video frame rate is
unespecified/wrong OR when the source has a VERY low frame rate (cell phone
videos)

The problem is this.. rc1 will encode *ANYTHING* to flv without any problems
using the following command line:

rc1 version command line.
-------------------------------------
mencoder PLAYBACK_ESPECTACULAR.wmv -of lavf -lavfopts
i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc
-channels 2 -vf scale=320:240 -lameopts cbr:br=32 -lavcopts
vcodec=flv:vbitrate=350:mbd=2:turbo:keyint=8 -srate 22050 -o output.flv

but... if I use rc2 I experience a strange problem...

rc2 version command line (same as above except for the -lavfopts option)
------------------------------------
mencoder PLAYBACK_ESPECTACULAR.wmv -of lavf -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -channels
2 -vf scale=320:240 -lameopts cbr:br=32 -lavcopts
vcodec=flv:vbitrate=350:mbd=2:turbo:keyint=8 -srate 22050 -o output.flv

The problem with rc2 is this:

If the source video has an 'incorrect' frame rate (I have a video that
reports frame rate as 99999) then the resulting video plays too fast, so I
decided to add to the rc2 command the -ofps 24 flag.. and bingo, it works..
because it limits the fps to 24... now, the ofps solves the problem when the
source FPS is too high/wrong.. however, if the source FPS is too low (cell
phone videos) the encoded video will play too fast..

My problem is that this does NOT happen with rc1!!  is there a way to tell
mencoder to 'limit' the FPS to a certain value but ONLY if the source FPS is
above *THAT* value?  I already tried -fps -ofps, -mc 0 I still have to
experiment with -noskip

Thanks!