[MEncoder-users] 2pass: auto-calculation of bitrate?

Ilya Zakharevich nospam-abuse at ilyaz.org
Tue Oct 16 11:13:17 CEST 2007

RC
<mencoder-users at mplayerhq.hu>], who wrote in article <20071016005014.706662b4.cooleyr at gmail.com>:
> > > This is certainly not workable.  There is no average "action" movie.

> > For the purposes at hand, obviously there is.  Just catenate 1000
> > randomly chosen action movies together.  ;-)
>
> Certainly.  You'll find an average bitrate, and it will look perfect for
> some movies, and look terrible for others.

Of course.  And this is absolutely irrelevant.

> Whether a certain bitrate will looks fine (average) across 1000
> movies depends entirely on the individual movies.

This does not parse.  The average will not depend much on the choice
of a (random) collection of 1000 movies.  Individual movies in this
thousand may be very different - and the algorithm I described will
take care of this.

> One set of 1000 action movies will require a much,
> much higher average bitrate than another set of 1000.

Not if they are "random" - as any particular collection is.

> > It is natural to expect that a reasonally working 35mm movie camera
> > would capture enough info to present in 2megapixel frames

> This has nothing to do with pixel count.  Encoding difficulty is about
> noise.

Again, noise depends on the choice of film and of the scene, not on
the camera...

Thanks,
Ilya