[MEncoder-users] 2pass: auto-calculation of bitrate?

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 09:50:14 CEST 2007

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 07:19:41 +0000 (UTC)
Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse at ilyaz.org> wrote:

> > This is certainly not workable.  There is no average "action" movie.
>
> For the purposes at hand, obviously there is.  Just catenate 1000
> randomly chosen action movies together.  ;-)

Certainly.  You'll find an average bitrate, and it will look perfect for
some movies, and look terrible for others.  Whether a certain bitrate
will looks fine (average) across 1000 movies depends entirely on the
individual movies.  One set of 1000 action movies will require a much,
much higher average bitrate than another set of 1000.

> It is natural to expect that a reasonally working 35mm movie camera
> would capture enough info to present in 2megapixel frames

This has nothing to do with pixel count.  Encoding difficulty is about
noise.

> I do not think the camera would matter a tiny bit...

As I said, you do not understand video encoding.