[MEncoder-users] Encoding to DVD: to deinterlace or not?

Scott W. Larson scowl at pacifier.com
Wed Oct 10 18:02:21 CEST 2007

Rich Felker wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 08:27:34PM -0500, James Hastings-Trew wrote:
>> There are a number of DVD players that will recognize
>> progressive content (23.976 or 25 fps) and send that to the TV, if the
>> TV is capable of accepting progressive content. My upsampling DVD player
>> takes the image and deinterlaces it before sending it to the TV as 720p
>> material over an HDMI link. In no case will the DVD player send 59.94 or
>
> 720p over HDMI link can surely be 60 fps... If the original content is
> 60i (I am not talking about telecine at all, which of course should be
> properly inverse-telecined before encoding) then no decent
> deinterlacing player would drop it down to 30 fps for display on the
> TV. It would look like utter crap, especially for high-motion things
> like sports.

Yes, DVD players won't deinterlace content that is interlaced, but he was
talking about players that "recognize progressive content" that is
progressive on the disc. They'll display that on a 60p display
progressively with a 2:3 pattern. Some recent HD-DVD players can even be
set to display at native 24 fps for progressive displays that can accept
that frame rate.