[MEncoder-users] Encoding to DVD: to deinterlace or not?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Oct 10 16:37:45 CEST 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 08:27:34PM -0500, James Hastings-Trew wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 08:05:39AM +0200, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> >
> >> And is a progressive DVD player's deinterlacer worse than any of
> >> mencoder's algorithms? Any comments, experience?
> >>

> > No, it's much better, because it will preserve 60 fps rather than
> > dropping to 30 fps. (Or 50/25 for pal..)
> >
> Even if you have an HD TV, and an upsampling DVD player, the image that
> the player sends to the TV is going to be 29.97 fps, (or in the case of
> PAL, 25fps). There are a number of DVD players that will recognize
> progressive content (23.976 or 25 fps) and send that to the TV, if the
> TV is capable of accepting progressive content. My upsampling DVD player
> takes the image and deinterlaces it before sending it to the TV as 720p
> material over an HDMI link. In no case will the DVD player send 59.94 or

720p over HDMI link can surely be 60 fps... If the original content is
60i (I am not talking about telecine at all, which of course should be
properly inverse-telecined before encoding) then no decent
deinterlacing player would drop it down to 30 fps for display on the
TV. It would look like utter crap, especially for high-motion things
like sports.

Rich