[MEncoder-users] Encoding to DVD: to deinterlace or not?

Francois Visagie fvisagie at za.spescom.com
Tue Oct 9 21:12:43 CEST 2007

<< snip>>
> Coming back to the original question:
> But what about:
> a) "user penetration" - all those CRTs still in the homes,
> and bound to
>    be there for the next - say - 10 years or so?
> b) All those non-progressive DVD players hoooked up to the
>    LCDs/TFTs/Plasmas via analog (yuck!)?
> That should make a large percentage of viewers, definitely
> the majority.
> All these could still make "good use" (sorry for the term) of
> interlaced material.
>
> And is a progressive DVD player's deinterlacer worse than any
> of mencoder's algorithms? Any comments, experience?

Still fearful of breaking threads by responding, I just want to say thanks
to all the thoughtful and thought-provoking responses. My value system - in
line with some of those expressed - is mainly conservative, meaning 1) to
preserve the final material as close to the original content as possible,
whilst 2) catering for most prevalent playback systems. Which, as was
pointed out (by Phil Ehrens I think) may be mutually exclusive goals.

Be that as it may, my source is interlaced DV, and having tried to
RTFcr at ppylittleM of my Sansui DVD 3500, it states that the "component video"
connectors can be configured for either "YUV: ...analog component video
format when connecting to Y/Cr/Cb terminals" or for "P-YUV: set progressive
Y/Pb/Pr signals. Connection same as Y/Cb/Cr." The former (YUV) therefore
seems to be interlaced, and is the setting which works for my CRT, so I'm
happy to preserve interlacing.

In case anyone's interested, here's an exhaustive if not quite scientific
article on the nature of and investigation into various players of
"progressive scan DVDs":
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-1
0-2000.html.

Kind regards until later,
Francois

This e-mail is sent on the Spescom Terms and Conditions
that can be accessed by clicking on this link http://www.spescom.com/email.html