[MEncoder-users] Trying convert to .mov

Ross Clement rossclement at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 07:57:25 CEST 2007

On 10/6/07, RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 06:00:09 +0100
> "Ross Clement" <rossclement at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've noted that movies with small dimensions (say 500 x 300 px) don't
> > have the problem, but larger ones (1024 x 768) do. This suggests to me
> > that it's a bug somewhere in mencoder or associated libraries.
>
> I've had no problem creating x264/faac/mp4 HD encodes entirely with
> mencoder (b-frames need-not apply).
>
> I've also had no problem creating x264/faac/mp4 Quicktime-compatible
> encodes (though admitedly not at HD resolutions).
>
> If there's a problem, either it's specific to your version of mencoder,
> the options you're using, or perhaps Quicktime.
>
> I don't think I can reveal the encoding options I used, but I
> strongly recomend using -ovc x264 -oac faac rather than the lavc
> equivalents you seem to be using.

I tried using -ovc x264 and -oac faac. For some reason mplayer couldn't play
back the sound saying that it was unable to initialise the faad decoder. I
do have faad on my system. At least, I have the command line faad. I'm
pretty sure I have compiled mplayer since I put faad on my computer.

Here's the command line I used to encode:

mencoder junk2.avi -vf scale=-10:-1,harddup -audiofile basic_protools.mp3
-of lavf -ovc x264 -oac faac -lavfopts
format=mov:i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -mc 0 -MC 0
-o junk3.mov

Please note that I have also successfully encoded x264/faac quicktime
compatible movies solely using mencoder. Some of my movies work, and some
don't. Hence it could be the version of mplayer/options I'm using, or it
could be something particular about my movies (e.g. quite a lot of duplicate
frames, hence the "harddup", but it seems to be the 1024x768 size) which is
exposing a more general bug.

If it were possible, I could send you an exerpt from one of the problematic
files to see if it encodes OK on your system, but we're talking large file
sizes. Do you have a ftp/sftp server somewhere allowing uploads?

Cheers,

Ross